Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Concealer in Medium Review

I definitely didn't need any more concealer when I decided to finally pick up Maybelline's Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Concealer.  I already got a ton and one that I'm particularly happy with from LA Girl.  The packaging on the Eraser has been intriguing me from the time of it's release, though, and I couldn't resist finally trying it.  Check it out!

There is not one concealer that I can think of that ever sported this kind of packaging.  It's twist-up/click style that normally I despise but it's not the typical pen style that usually goes along with that.  And there's a good amount of product in the container, as opposed with the normal skimpiness encountered with concealer pens.  It did take me quite a few twists to get the product to show up initially, but after that it's been fine and doesn't oversaturate the applicator.
Let's take a second to discuss this sponge tip thing.  I know that for many of you this is a turn off, mostly for hygienic reasons.  According to Maybelline, it's anti bacterial or microbial or something (hey, I'm a makeup junkie, not a scientist.  I don't know...), so you don't have to worry about your germs staying alive on the applicator.   They also say that you shouldn't wash it, only wiping it with a dry tissue as needed.

It doesn't bother me in terms of germs.  I only use my makeup on myself and I don't care about my own germs.  I rarely get pimples or break outs so I'm not spreading that stuff all over my face by using this.  At the end of the day, though, I do understand why some might be bothered by this.

All together, I don't really get the purpose of the sponge.  I mean, it's really soft and everything, but it doesn't add anything to application.  It seems like it could potentially be good at blending concealer, but once you get product on it you can't use it to apply because your constantly swiping more product on your face.  
I got the shade in Medium, which has yellow undertones.  I think I could've afforded to go just a bit darker, but it doesn't show up way too light once applied and blended out.  

The product, itself, blends very easily.  Thinking about it, I guess the sponge may have a small bit to do with that as it doesn't just put down a blob of product.  On the contrary, it kind of puts a stamp of product on your face so your brush (or finger) doesn't have as much work to do.

I would say this gives a light-medium coverage.  I don't think someone who has a serious issue with dark circles would benefit from this by itself.  Maybelline does have a yellow Neutralizer shade as well as pink Brightener shade that, in conjunction with your shade of concealer, may help you out a bit more, but I don't have those shades so I can't confirm or deny that.

I like the way this concealer dries down.  It sets to a semi-matte finish so I don't feel the overwhelming need to set it with powder as I normally do.  Don't get me wrong, I still do use a powder over it, but if I forget to as I'm running out the door I don't feel too bad.  Also, mind you that I have dry skin, so even though it has a drier finish than other concealers I've tried, it isn't too dry that it looks or feels bad on me.

In regards to the treatment claim, I can't comment on that as I haven't been using it long enough nor frequent enough to test that out.  Apparently it has Goji Berry and Haloxyl which is supposed to fix your undereye circles and puffiness somehow...

Bottom Line:  Amber Likes!

This was a pretty good concealer, world's better than the last Maybelline concealer I tried.  It doesn't completely cover up my dark circles, but it's good enough.  And I'll let you know in the future if I notice an actual change in my undereyes :)

You can find more information about this concealer on Maybelline's website.  It retails for $9.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...