Monday, August 6, 2012

Rimmel Match Perfection Concealer Review

I mentioned before in my OPI Pink Friday post that I did a haul from Bloom.com and the Rimmel Match Perfection Concealer was another item I purchased alongside of the polish.  You may remember that I was pretty excited over the Match Perfection foundation a while ago so I couldn't wait to try its accompanying concealer!

As far as the packaging goes, it's in a tube where when you squeeze the tube, the product is dispensed up through the attached brush tip.  Compared to other styles of concealer packaging (*cough* click pens *cough*) I don't mind this type of tube very much.  The only problems I've had with this style of packaging is that its a bit hard to control the amount of product that comes out and I had one tube that busted so the concealer came out the side of the applicator instead of the brush tip.  So far the with this particular tube, I haven't experienced that though.  I know some people have a problem with concealers that come with applicators due to their potential unsanitary nature, but that's not a big concern of mine.  Besides, you could always wash the brush if you preferred.


On the back of each tube there is a nifty little chart that basically says:  If you wear ______ shade in Match Perfection foundation, then you should purchase ______ shade in the concealer.  This should take out some of the guesswork in choosing your perfect shade.  I wear 340 Nude in the foundation and, according to the chart, 335 Light/Medium was the correct shade for me so that's the shade I chose.
Now, in theory, it shouldn't matter that much whether they have the shade-matching chart or not shouldn't matter because it's supposed to "match" you skin tone, right?  Of course, a very fair person shouldn't purchase the darkest shade and vice versa, but I felt there should be some versatility between 2 or 3 of the shades.  

Personally, I didn't notice any skin-adapting properties with this concealer so I don't know if that theory would work out or not.  In terms of the actual lightness/darkness of my skin, it already was a decent match, so it didn't really need to adjust itself in color.

However what it didn't do is adjust to my undertone.  I have a yellow undertone to my skin and this came off kind of orange-y.  Orange is not a great look on me.

I'm also confused with their "2-in-1 Concealer and Highlighter" Claim.  If something is supposed to match to your skin tone, how could it possibly act as a highlighter?  The only way I can think of is through shimmer, which this doesn't have.  If anything, due to the off undertone it makes my undereyes kind of duller.  I don't know if maybe choosing a shade lighter than suggested would help out in that department, but if that is the case the shade-matching chart should be adjusted accordingly.

In terms of coverage, I'd say it's light, maybe light-medium.  I'm satisfied with the coverage it gives, though I'm not trying to cover up any major discolorations or blemishes.  

Bottom Line:  Amber's not much of a fan...

The Match Perfection foundation was so good at matching my exact skin tone that I had high hopes for the concealer.  Unfortunately I ended up being pretty disappointed.  I think if the color actually matched me my opinion would be completely different, but alas....

You can find more information about this product at the Rimmel website.  

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...