Wednesday, June 13, 2012

This Whole Urban Decay "Cruelty-Free No More" Debacle....


I'm not going to go into this extra long tirade about this topic that I'm sure 99% of you have already read about on other blogs and YouTube videos.  I do want to share some quick notes about it though because this will be minimally effecting my blog.



So first of all, for those of you who don't know:  Urban Decay, a company that has long bragged about being a cruelty-free company and used their stance on the issue as a selling point, has decided to sell their products in China.  China is a country well-known for their practices of requiring animal testing on products, so you can see how this could create a controversy between Urban Decay and their current customer base.


Now, please understand that I'm not over here sitting on my high horse looking down on Urban Decay for this latest business decision.  As much as I wish I only purchased completely cruelty-free products, I simply have not researched the companies I buy from enough to see if all of them go along with this ideal.  I'm sure I have some products in my collection that are at least somewhat not cruelty-free.  I do hope that as time goes on I can some day have a cruelty-free beauty collection, but I'm in no position to judge anyone about this at this time.


What pisses me off about this is that Urban Decay clearly thinks their customers are stupid.  In response to concerned consumers over this issue, the company said something along the lines of them not doing this for the money but, instead, doing this so that they could eventually change China's mind about animal testing. Please excuse my french but, are you f**king kidding me?  First of all, do they really think that selling a few shadows are going to change the entire Chinese government?  How vain is that?  And second, this is a country run on capitalism, no business here makes decisions if it doesn't involve money somehow.  Thanks for playing though guys...


My biggest pet peeve in life is anyone pretending that I'm not intelligent enough to see what's right in front of me.  What Urban Decay did says to me that they have no respect for the consumers that keep their company going and successful and that, I WILL NOT stand by.  It also bothers me that the company has used their non-animal testing stance as a big selling/bragging point for so long and they so easily shoved it away to make more money.  They are hypocrites.  


As many of you might know, I love Urban Decay palettes with a passion, on the verge of being a collector.  I can't say whether or not I will stop purchasing their products or not but I certainly do not have any desire at this time.  I have decided to kind of churn out some Urban Decay reviews I've had on the back burner for a while now to get them over and done with.  I really don't even want to deal with the brand at all right now, but I know there are some of you out there that will still like to see info/pics/reviews of their products (that are still amazing regardless) so I'm not going to stop reviewing products that I've already bought.  


This whole thing is just a bummer.....


I'm really interested to hear what you guys think though!  Make sure to leave your comments below about the subject, I'm anxious to read them. 

4 comments:

  1. Just read the press release. They really do think that their customers are stupid. 1)Women's right?? As in finding more workers so they'll be able to expand their brand? 2)Worker's rights a new concept in China?? Do they KNOW the history of China at all??? Yea I can definitely see how the issue is not even the "Cruelty free" thing. It's probably the fact that they've just insulted our intelligence lol. And you're right, "this is a country run on capitalism, no business here makes decisions if it doesn't involve money somehow."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have to add, I don't appreciate them demeaning China as if it's a country lacking absolutely no morals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I definitely agree. China has made a decision that they feel is right for their country. I don't agree with it but there's pros and cons to every stance on every issue. UD kind of presented China as this morally corrupt, immature people which seems quite offensive to this new market their trying to get.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...