Friday, December 2, 2011

Buxom Lash Hurrah Kit Review (and what happens when you just type "Buxom" into Google without thinking)

First of all, I can't tell you what a great deal this Lash Hurrah kit is.  For $18, you get a full-sized Buxom Lash Mascara and a mini-size of their new Buxom Amplified Lash Mascara.  FYI - if you were to buy the Buxom Lash by itself, it would cost you $19.  If you're planning on buying just the Buxom Lash, the kit would actually save you money.  This was a last minute purchase for me during the Sephora VIB sale so that I could use up the rest of my store credit.  And as always with situations like that, it turned out to be one of my favorite things out of the haul.  It also prompted a very, um...interesting Google Image Search.  Check out more after the jump!






So, for the sake of this review, I'm going to review the mascaras separately, as one I loved and the other, eh, not so much.  First up is the Buxom Lash Mascara and all I can say is:  I don't know how I lived without this mascara in my life for 23 years!
Buxom Lash Mascara - 2 coats

The pic above is just a quick 2 coats :)  If I had taken a picture of my eyes without mascara on, you wouldn't see any of my lashes, they're so darn fine.  I'm typically weary of mascaras that claim to volumize AND define because those 2 concepts just don't go hand in hand - but this mascara accomplishes both somehow.  Also, even though it only claims to be for volume and definition, you can see that it gives me killer length as well, SUPRISE!!  If you're a lady like me who looks for maximum volume and length but with next to zero clumps, this mascara is for you.  My mascara collection now stands 15+ tubes strong, but this has just jumped to the very top of my list!  Definite repurchase!


Bottom Line:  Amber LOVES<3<3<3<3<3


The Amplified Lash Mascara gets a little more complicated, unfortunately.  First, I have to explain how this wand works because it's definitely not your typical mascara brush.  When you pull the wand out at first, its in  it's "extended" position and in this extended position it is meant to volumize your lashes.  Then you can twist the very top of the wand's cap and it causes the brush to "compact" itself and the bristles get closer together to lengthen and define.  The initial problem is the mascara doesn't come with a recommendation on which position to apply first so I did each position individually and then one with compact layered with extended and vice-versa. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves
Amplified Lash - Compacted (Length) position only

Amplified Lash - Extended (Volume) position only

Amplified Lash - Extended (Volume) applied first/
Compacted (Length) applied on top
Let me start off by saying that the Extended/Volume position isn't shabby at all.  As you can see from the middle picture, it gave great volume in just 1 coat.  I did have to work with it a lot more than I did with the Buxom Lash but alone it yielded beyond decent results.  The problem child here is the Compacted/Length position.  Buxom should've kept that one.  Alone it's horrendous, turning my lashes into a dying daddy long legs.  I'm not even sure what the technical problem with it is, I just know it sucks hard.  When I applied the Compacted/Length side on top of the Extended it wasn't as bad, but it did diminish the initial results I got from the Extended/Volume by itself.  I didn't bother including the picture of the Extended/Volume applied on top of the Compacted/Length because it looked almost identical to the top picture.  Whenever the Compact position was involved it just turned everything to crap.  I've always thought theses types of mascaras with the dial-up functions or 2 brushes in 1 things were gimmicky and now this has solidified that sentiment.


Bottom Line:  Amber...could take it or leave it :(


Before I let you go, let me give you a quick cautionary tale.  Before making the final decision of which Buxom kit to purchase (there's a number of affordable sets on Sephora) I decided to do some research.  Without thinking, I just typed "buxom" into Google image search to just get a broad look at what the brand has to offer...and boy oh boy. The good new is, if you are indeed searching for rather buxom ladies in their b-day suits, Google has an abundant supply of pics for you!  If not, a word to the wise, make sure to type a product name after typing the word "buxom" to get actual pictures of products and not, well, you know...:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...