Saturday, November 19, 2011

Revlon Lip Butters Review: The Hype Finally Got to Me

Revlon Lip Butters L-R:  Strawberry Shortcake, Candy Apple,  Sugar Plum
If you're an avid beauty blog reader like me or, hell, if you read pretty much any blog lately, there's no way you haven't heard about these babies.  The blogosphere has been drooling at these new Revlon lip butters as if they're the second coming.  I've been trying to resist the urge every time I pass them in my Walgreens.  "THEY'RE NOT ON SALE.  THEY'RE NOT ON SALE.  THEY'RE NOT ON SALE," I'd chant to myself.  But now I don't have to anymore as Rite Aid came to my rescue with a BOGO 1/2 off sale (+6UP Rewards if you spent $20 on Revlon, score!!).  Swatches after the jump...




L-R:  Candy Apple, Sugar Plum, Strawberry Shortcake

L-R:  Strawberry Shortcake, Candy Apple, Sugar Plum
I went into the store just knowing that I was going to walk out with Sweet Tart, Candy Apple, and Brown Sugar, but of course Brown Sugar and Sweet Tart were sold out so I replaced them with Strawberry Shortcake and Sugar Plum.  Now, most have been describing these as the best of three words -- the pigmentation of a lipstick, the shine of a lip gloss, and the moisture of a lip balm.  While I agree that this is definitely a lipstick-gloss-balm hybrid, I wouldn't necessarily say it's the "best" of all these three kind of lippies have to offer.  On the balm side, it does make your lips look moisturized, but after about a 1/2 hour I found my lips feeling a little dry.  For the gloss front, there is a bit of shine at first, but this quickly dissipates again after a 1/2 hour of wear.  Where this product performs best is as a lipstick.  I was amazed at the amount of color I got from just a few swipes on my lips, especially from Strawberry Shortcake.  And even after the glossiness fades, your lips are left with a really nice tint for quite a while after.

Candy Apple
Candy Apple is a bright red with a slight orange undertone.  It was nicely pigmented and I didn't pick up on it having any shimmer.  It gave my lips a nice juicy look.

Strawberry Shortcake
Strawberry Shortcake was my favorite out of the bunch.  Its a cool-toned light-medium pink.  I have warm undertones to my skin so to all my olive ladies out there:  don't shy away from this if you're afraid of cool lip colors.  It does lean to the blue-pink side but it's still neutral enough to be flattering on everyone.  If you're like me and you've been trying to figure out how to achieve a more neutral/daytime friendly version of the pink Nicki Minaj lip, you might want to give this a try.

Sugar Plum
Are visions of Sugar Plums dancing in my head?  Not really.  I mean, I think it looks the most natural on me out of all the butters I picked up, but I was still disappointed.  A lot of people have been describing this as a MLBB (My Lips But Better).  However I would actually call it My Lips But Berry.  It just gives me a slight berry-rosy tint to my lips.  Looking at the butter in the tube, I just figured it would be a bit more pigmented than it was.  


Bottom Line:  Amber Likes!!!



Claims Checklist
ü  Boosts Lip Moisture
ü  Glides on Lips Buttery Smooth
ü  Sheer to Medium Color
ü  Buttery Shine

Average Jane Report
Price ($6.99)
Budget friendly
Packaging
Cute, easy to store on vanity & in your bag
Range (20 shades)
Something for everyone!
Application
Extremely easy, like applying a chapstick
Maintenance
Reapplication about every 2-3 hours
Accessibility
Great!  Where ever Revlon is sold!



Grab It!
·         You’re looking for lip color with extra moisture benefits
·         You want more color intensity out of your lip balm
·         You’re looking for a product line with a large range for your many personalities


Leave It!
·         You’re looking for something to completely cure your chapped lips
·         You like very sheer balms with little to no color
·         You want something that will stay all day






So, are you believing the hype behind these guys or are you holding out?






3 comments:

  1. These remind me so much of the Dior Addict Shine lipsticks - about a 3rd of the price though :P
    www.celestecohen.blogspot.com xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Celeste-

    I've always looked at the Dior Addict Shine lipsticks but haven't taken the splurge yet. I'm glad Revlon came out with something more affordable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Revlon for a while will quenched my thirst for Dior's Addict Shine lippy.
    online make up

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...